31 May 2014

Risotto with Asparagus

Our favorite asparagus stand is still going strong on the Kollwitzstrasse. As long as they are there, we’ll be eating asparagus. Second time this week. Tonight we had green asparagus with a saffron risotto. 

Here is the (very simple) recipe for about three persons. Put 750 ml vegetable stock on, so it’s hot when you’re going to use it. Bake 1 chopped shallot and 1 chopped green pepper (deseeded) a minute in a tablespoon of butter. When the shallots look glassy, add a wisp of saffron. Add about 200 grams risotto rice and cook for a few until the rice looks a little glassy. Deglaze with 1 dl water with ½ squeezed lemon. If the water is absorbed, add the stock a ladle at a time and stir till the rice has absorbed it before adding another one. Test after about 2/3 of the broth if the risotto is done. I myself add stock until the rice is soft because it really is easier for the little ones to eat - one of the ladies only has six teeth- but I can imagine that you'd rather have it a little more al dente.

When the rice is done, remove it from the heat and add a tablespoon of butter, a teaspoon of honey and 50 grams of grated parmesan cheese. Add pepper and salt if needed: done!

Meanwhile, I cooked a bunch green asparagus in a pan of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Again, I cook them a little longer than I would do for myself; softer is easier for the girls. A few pieces of asparagus on top of the risotto and the rest with olive oil and coarse sea salt on a separate plate.

I must admit that I’ve cheated a little with the girls. They are not as fond as their mum of asparagus. They like it a little more each time, but I added green peas to their risotto so they will both try to learn to like asparagus and had enough veg tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment